Who I am
I am full-stack developer seeking to use my technical expertise to produce creative, visually smart, user centric websites and applications. I interface with stakeholders to gather and shape business requirements and I effectively collaborate with designers, developers, and operations to create technical solutions. I believe the best products are made in environments that encourage collaboration, open architectures, transparency, and short release cycles.
- Expertise in working in a cross-functional role, bridging the gap between business, design, QA, DevOps, and engineering
- Expertise designing, implementing, tasking, and maintaining highly available, highly scalable web applications
- Expertise working collaboratively or in a trusted, individual role where deadlines are utmost
- Expertise in providing design feedback
- Experience with agile methodologies
- Experience mentoring junior engineers
- Java and JVM technology - Spring, JAX-RS
- NodeJS - server-side and as build tool and general scripting language
- AWS - Serverless (lambda), Cloudformation, APM with Cloudwatch,
Amazon.com | October 2016 to February 2020 | Software Development Engineer II - Lifycycle Engagement
At Amazon I helped create a customer facing content system that helps millions of Amazon customers navigate Amazon’s global retail sites. I have handled scaling the service for peak events and doing efficiency optimizations during periods of low traffic. I maintain a continuous deployment system that deploys to every Amazon region in hours, ensuring quality through multiple levels of testing.
Additionally I maintain tools and technology that help Amazon’s marketers, advertisers, and third-party merchandisers get their content in front of customers. I work with product and design create solutions that delight customers while ensuring a high bar of efficiency for internal users.
REI | April 2015 to April 2016 | Software Engineer
At REI I write and maintain JS and LESS that relates to the Outdoor Programs and Adventures departments. This includes part of REI.com where users find and register for events and classes. I was the principle JS architect for the event registration single page app which is similar to a normal product checkout except that classes and events have special considerations and require collecting more information from the user in addition to payment depending on the contents of the users event cart. I collaborate with backend developers to shape the specifications for the REST services that back the web apps. I am involved in every step of the product lifecycle inception/design, development, testing, deployment, monitoring and measurement.
Formidable Labs | July 2014 to December 2014 | Engineer
Amazon (via The Creative Group) | November 2013 to July 2014 | Contract SDE
My duties at Amazon ranged widely but generally fell into three categories. First, working with UX designers, I created dynamic, data-driven “widgets” that are used by Amazon’s merchandisers to drive sales and help millions of customers find their products. Second, again working with UX designers, I created static HTML/CSS interfaces for applications being developed by other teams. Third, I oversaw the development of NodeJS based applications for various internal uses, the most advanced of which is a SOA based metrics application that leverages Amazon’s vast amount of data to track usage and effectiveness of our widgets.
Deloitte Digital (via The Creative Group) | October 2013 | Web Development
Develop the redesign for delottedigital.com that makes extensive use of HTML5 video. The final product needed to be completely responsive and work on all popular devices.
- Western Washington University - Graduation March 2012
- English Literature Emphasis - 3.4 GPA
- Random studies included: analog circuits, logic, and technical writing
- Audio production
- Machine learning